Saturday, July 4, 2009

Good Bye Nina





























Today was a terribly sad day for us. We unexpectedly lost our most precious girl Nina this morning around 9am. She died while Kim and I where holding her in our arms. The last words she heard from us were "we love you Nina".
She has been hanging on for over a year and a half with not one, but two serious heart problems. When we found out in January of 2008 that her heart was working at 25% of its capacity, I jumped on the next plane out of Dallas to get home and be with her. I stopped at the local pet store to get her a new ball. When I walked in the door, it was if nothing was wrong and she was ready to play...and happy to see me. We have given her a tremendous amount of love and care, but nothing close to what she gave us...she was always there, emotionally and physically. She loved to lay in the sun on a nice day. She wouldn't come down for breakfast in the morning unless someone stracthed her arm pits for 10 minutes. She loved to play with rocks and balls. There are rocks all over the yard the size of golf balls...I will leave them where they lay. We would find them all over the house and wonder how she would get them by us. Her favorite game was to stand at the top of the steps and toss a ball down. She could do it for hours, day after day, and never get bored. She loved any holiday or any reason to open a present..We called her "The Can-Opener" because of her present opening ability. We loved how she like to play with plastic bowls and they would cover her face..we called her "SpaceMan"..(see attached photo).She loved Anna and Anna loved her. Anna has been asking for Ni-Ni, but she doesn't understand that she's gone.
As I write this, its about 11pm. We are nothing less than devasted by what happened today. Kim and I were holding her as she took her last breathe, it was quick and she didn't suffer. She fought very hard for a long time to stay with us...and I think she did it just for us. She stuck around just long enough for Anna to get to know her. We needed her. We could never be lucky enough to have another family member as great as her. We will miss her more than she could ever know, our lives were changed forever. We will never forget you Nina, until we meet up again....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. I have tears running down my face right now. Kajsa and I have always included Nina in our prayers....Anna, Nina, Kim, Sean. Tonight or tomorrow morning we will thank God for Nina. And I am so happy Anna got to know her. We are so glad Kajsa has gotten to know Abby. See you soon.

with infinite hope, Jim

Anonymous said...

Kim, Sean and Anna,

So sorry to hear about Nina. I know how lovable she has been. They are like our children and we get so attached to them. You have so many good memories of Nina and it was so good that Anna got to know and love her, too.

Love Stella and Howard